Behavioral Support Specialists (BSS) help reduce and eliminate challenging behaviors of those living with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Office LocationsPhiladelphia Behavioral Health
Our Behavioral Support Specialists (BSS) work with our Open Systems Behavioral Health (OSBH) team to address and reduce challenging behaviors affecting an individual. Some common challenging behaviors include verbal or physical aggression, self-injurious behavior, lack of coping skills, or symptoms related to mental health diagnoses. Behavioral Support Specialists will work closely with the client and family to assess, plan, and address ‘bad’ behaviors. They’ll craft Behavioral Support Plans and Crisis Intervention Plans that are extremely comprehensive and personalized, so that unwanted behaviors are targeted and adaptive behaviors take their place.
A Behavioral Support Specialist can expect this role to be very high-touch. A BSS will not only analyze and design these specialized interventions, but they’ll also communicate with the individual, their family, their Supports Coordinator, and any other notable contacts to explain and consult information throughout the entire process.
OSH hires Behavioral Support Specialists on a contract basis. When you pursue your career at Open Systems Healthcare, you’re joining a team invested in your professional growth and supportive every step of the way.
Required credentials for the BSS role include:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must pass OSBH’s competency exam with a score of 80% or higher
- Must have a PA Behavioral Specialist License OR at least a Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Education, Applied Behavior Analysis or related field
- Must have completed required trainings provided by the BAS or an accredited college or university, OR approved by the BAS:
- Conducting and using a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)
- Positive behavioral support
- Must have evidence of Tuberculosis screening that meets CDC guidelines
- Must be willing to travel throughout Southeastern PA
- Must have a reliable form of transportation
- Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance